The Dig Deep mining podcast is produced by Rob Tyson, an experienced mining recruiter/head-hunter with over 10 years in the mining industry. Rob’s mission for his podcast is to discuss, educate and talk about mining industry news and hot topics.
‘Technically there is nothing better, you have every profession under the sun in a mine’
In this issue, Rob is in conversation with Mark Dawe Managing Director of B2 Gold Namibia. They discuss the corporate social responsibility central to the operating philosophy of the company and giving back to the community, country and the planet.
This interview is a fascinating insight into the role the company plays in developing a passionate and positive workforce who are doing great things, adding value and giving back, listen in to hear more.
The aspect of social investment and environmental investment in the planet is not debatable, it should be a part of every bankable feasibility study, this is especially important in developing countries.
Key podcast highlights
- Mark Dawe has worked in Namibia for more than 26 years and has extensive experience working with the government both as a managing director and as former president of the Namibia Chamber of Mines.
- We are focused not only on adding value but also on corporate social responsibility we believe we are investing in a country and this is central to our operating philosophy from the CEO down to the individual mines in each country.
- B2 Gold is very focused on upskilling making sure the local population is trained so that the operation can be run by a local workforce from management through to site staff.
- The policy of skills transfer has been very successful because we are upskilling individuals who can then be deployed across various roles in differing locations.
- There is a fantastic synergy between a country that is very liberal, Canada the parent company of our company, and developing countries ; developing skills transfer, education, assisting people and leaving a legacy.
- Namibia is a very friendly country and It’s a pleasure to live here. The government is very receptive to mining but there are challenges around licences and resource rent through claim sitting.
- The minerals and metals mined in Namibia are extremely diverse and the country has the best skill set of any African country.
- When you come here to live you want to stay and this is hugely attractive for mining operators as its hugely beneficial to not have your workforce flying in and out, with the associated costs and fosters ownership and commitment.
- If you surround yourself with passionate people you find you are in a very positive situation with people doing great things and adding value to community, country and planet.
- B2 Gold is very involved in conservation, setting up the Namibia Chamber of Environment. This has become the ‘one stop shop’ for the conservation and environmental sector.
- Although the effective recycling of minerals and metals and other materials is developing There will always be a need for resources from the ground and the natural resources sector will in the future become more dependent on technology and more efficient mining techniques.
ABOUT THE HOST
Rob Tyson is an established recruiter in the mining and quarrying sector and decided to produce the “Dig Deep” The Mining Podcast to provide valuable and informative content around the mining industry. He has a passion and desire to promote the industry and the podcast aims to offer the mining community insight to people’s experiences and careers covering any mining discipline, giving the listeners helpful advice and guidance on industry topics.
Rob is the Founder and Director of Mining International Ltd, a leading global recruitment and headhunting consultancy based in the UK specialising in all areas of mining across the globe from the first world to third world countries from Africa, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Australia. We source, headhunt and discover new and top talent through a targeted approach and search methodology and have a proven track record in sourcing and positioning exceptional candidates into our clients’ organisation in any mining discipline or level. Mining International provides a transparent, informative and trusted consultancy service to our candidates and clients to help them develop their careers and business goals and objectives in this ever-changing marketplace.
Email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Mining International Official Website
· Mining International’s Twitter
· Mining InternationalIs Facebook